August 5, 2010

I'M STILL HERE

Hi everyone! Sorry for the disappearing act. I don't know if you're getting as sick as I am of the previous statement-I know I sure am. Will work on posting on a more regular basis. I do appreciate all of you checking in.

Mitch & I took the showcar down to the motorcycle ride in memory of fallen soldier from Cape Cod @ DY High School on Saturday, July 24. Wow, what an awesome experience. While I was there, I ran into a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in at least 10 years. It was great to see him & have a chance to catch up. Last time we'd seen each other he had been diagnosed with what was thought to be terminal cancer-not so. He's doing well & moving on with his life. After that, it was time to get the car finished up & readied to go testing. We had to put new crbon fiber front brakes on the car on Monday. Tuesday afternoon Eddie & I loaded the truck & trailer. Ed & his buddy left Tuesday evening for New England Dragway where we'd be testing. Wednesday morning we all arrived at the track, got the car out of the trailer & st up the pit area. When we were spinning the engine over for oil pressure we found a wobble on the lower pulley attached to the crankshaft. After inspection & disassembly, we realized the crank hub was no good. After getting this problem squared away, we had time for one pass. Took the car to the starting line, did the burn out & at that point we realized the body was not latching properly. Tommy gave the shut off sign to Todd & that ended the evening. Thursday we took the car to the Carroll Center in Newton, MA where I spoke with 40 students that were there for the summer. Had the car on display for them & then started the car up so they could all experience what 3000 HP sounds like. As always, it was a great visit. Thursday night we drove back to the Cape & got ready to take the racecar to Ozzie's shop on Friday morning, where we worked on the body latch issue. By the end of the day we were loading the car back into the trailer, ready to return to New England Dragway for more testing over the weekend. Saturday morning we arrived back at the track, where we were able to make two passes. The first one, 5.69 @ 257mph & the second was a 5.66 @ 257mph. That put a cap on Saturday. My brother Jimmy was running his car, my nephew Jamie was racing his car, & my niece Patty was driving her car too. It was kinda cool having all those Blake's racing-it was alot of fun. We had a great dinner that night-thanks to Maura. Then everybody got a good nights sleep. Sunday we pulled the car out again to make some more passes. We ran a 5.62 & a 5.63, & by the end of the day we had reset both ends of the track record-a great accomplishment for the entire team. We stayed over Sunday night to work on the car again on Monday, then loaded it up & brought it back to the Cape.

I would really like to thank Joe & all of the staff at New England Dragway for their hospitality, track preparation, and help. New England Dragway is one of the finest facilities in the Northeast.

Back at the shop we unloaded the trailer and will do some more work on the car servicing cylinder heads & clutch stuff in preparation for our next race at Cecil County, August 20.

I will talk to you all one week from Monday, August 16, as my wife Ann & I are going on vacation tomorrow. YAHOO!!!

No comments: